Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Joy of working in a small company!

It has been 15 months since I joined this networking company, a Santa clara based. The company as such is a small one, and we were claiming ourselves to be pioneer in metro-ethernet.

Now, it has got acquired by a Telecom giant and a fortune 500. Going back to a huge organization, again. I felt really great and happy working in the small company. Besides some minor disadvantages, I have seen lots of advantages. a few are:

a) clear visibility to the top management.
b) great responsibilities on my shoulders! believe me, I was responsible for three components, and I did significant contribution on all.
c) flat hierarchy and more transparency than bigger companies. (I assume, this would be the case in all the companies).
d) and good work pressue.

and more flexibilities like not wearing badges, going in short pants etc ;-).

the only sad part is no one knows about the company. particularly, it becomes difficult to face relatives. once in my native place, i met one of my relatives.
my mom introduced me to him and she said I work in bangalore. and my relative immediately asked, "oh, are you working in wipro?"... (I dont know how people conclude that Wipro is the only company in bangalore, or is it that his sone is working in wipro?). I said "no, but in Company X". he asked, (just like that), how much you would be drawing, around 50K? First I was shocked to hear the way he asked and also about the figures.. later, I told I am drawing some decent salary, which is more than sufficient for my daily needs... his face became red...

anyways, I love working in small companies, not sure whether I will get a chance in future! Happy working.

12 comments:

Aravindh said...

machi....u mus listen to this song in aaru....

freeya udu freeya udu freeya udu maamu...vaazhkaiku ila guarantee...freeya udu freeya udu freeya udu maamu..un kanavuku ila warranty... ;)

u betta concentrate on the other imprtnt aspects in ya life which u deftly need (kno wat i mean??? ;))

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

machi, concentrate panraen da.

Jagan said...

thts why me moving off da :-)

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

jagan: adangu da... nee munnalae pona naan pinnalae varuvaennu mattum nenachirathae ;-)..

பிரதீப் said...

Making the 25th revolution around sun, at a speed of 108000 Km/Hr.

:) Just Beautiful!

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

pradeep: thanks dude :-)

Anonymous said...

Kirsh,

Let us aim for long term as always the top mgnt says :).

Don't worry :)... will celebrate the same cultcure until something really worst...

Ananth said...

Could relate to what you are going through....Even at the cost of looking like i am doing some cheap piece of marketing, in some of the 'big' companies, (I work for one), you still get to enjoy those benefits you mentioned...Any ways hope that you big company which acquired yours is of that kind...:-)
And Yes. Regarding what your maama and chitti are thinking about your company: Freeya udu...:-D

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

a.j.anto: Hope it is of ma kind,

but still it is not wipro, or any other Big indian companies :-P.

aravindtu said...

smaller the company better is ur independence. sometimes u may even be asked to design & implement a system frm scratch. And u can have complete independence of choosing ur own resources (open sources or any new techs that suits ur purpose)..

to ward off ur relative's comment..u can alwys say this..."my company is a spin-off from some well kwn comp"..i used to say my comp is a spin-off from Reuters (which is just a client) :)

aravindtu said...

smaller the company better is ur independence. sometimes u may even be asked to design & implement a system frm scratch. And u can have complete independence of choosing ur own resources (open sources or any new techs that suits ur purpose)..

to ward off ur relative's comment..u can alwys say this..."my company is a spin-off from some well kwn comp"..i used to say my comp is a spin-off from Reuters (which is just a client) :)

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

aravind: 100% true.. and relatives: will try this new solution :-).