Friday, October 07, 2005

Coincidences

I got a chance to read a post last week; the post was about "coincidences" and "god playing dice". I see things as mere coincidences, instead of playing dice. But it is difficult for us to see things as coincidences, since we always think of probability and possiblities of the events.So sometime it makes us to think that Someone is controlling us and is responsible for this coincidence. Isnt coincidences, only?

I remember one good coincidence, that happened in my college. There was a very nice chap, funny guy from our batch. He became a very good friend of mine. In hostels, each year students will be allotted new rooms. during my third year I got one such room and the room number was 23. Surprisingly the number was same as that of the registration number of good friend.

When I read that post, I remember this coincidence that happened in my college. That night I travelled to cyber city(athaan namma madurai) by bus. More surprisingly the seat number was 23. I didnt realize even while booking, and only after I got into the bus.

I started applying my school maths and calculated probability of all these events and ended with 4.6 * (10 power -6) which is almost zero :-).

No one cannot play dice to end up with these coincidences.

3 comments:

NaiKutti said...

well, any event can taken up as a coincidence... for example, i coming to ur blog at this moment etc... and it all boils down to probablility in mathematical terms... but the prob. is not so low as u had quoted, but these have a good amt. probability coz there r some affinities (for e.g, go by bus, read blogs etc.,) for many events, but these can't be given the right weightages and hence going just by math alone we end up with wrong numbers... :-)

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

naikutti: i was treating everything as equally probable and we can't come up with the exact figure, as you say!
but my argument is (or kinda) there cannot be external force driving us for these coincidences, and these are just coincidences,(although less probable, theoritically)

Anonymous said...

kkuttuva,

Aramabichitaya...un karupu chata velaya...

Intha blogs oru chinna thirutham or addition...

Madurai is not only cyber city..growing as COSMO!!!!!!!!

Muthu Kumar.S.H.