Friday, August 08, 2014

Velaiyilla pattathari

Velaiyilla Pattathari (The jobless graduate) is a recent block buster Tamil movie. Its about a engineering graduate who did not get job for 4 years after graduation, and what he faces. No, I am not going to write a review about it. Everyone will pass this stage in life, and this blog is about my experience.

The first time I came to know about Anna university was during my 11th standard (so was my ignorance). This is the top most engineering school in tamil nadu, and I started aiming for it. After 1 year of hard work I managed to squeeze into the School of Computer Science and Engineering department of Anna university. Then, what I was all said was my life is settled, and I do not have to worry about anything in life!!!! Like, any engineering graduate thinks.

Three years passed, with an average academic score, the placement began in 2001. That was after the doomsday (9/11). And everything was melting. Particularly, it severed the IT bubble and job market was very bad. So it reflected very well in the campus recruitment too. The bad thing about my college is, who ever a company picks, the company could make a safe bet on that guy/girl to perform well for 2 years. (I do not think any Indian IT company foresees more than 2 years). Such was the competitive environment, and such was the desperate situation. Here is the list of companies I attended and my EXPERIENCE with it (the freshers will understand the highlighted EXPERIENCE word).

TCS: This company would always fill the first slot in whichever colleges it want to go. And it recruits in hundreds. But it gave a big blow to all, since they recruited only 7 or 8 members and most of them were the toppers. But I seriously doubt the selection procedure of TCS as most of the questions are leaked well before the interview day. I too attended, but with luck. I said bad luck TCS, and moved on.

Infosys: Unforunately, it came on the same day as my GRE exam, and I did not attend.  I did not know the Infosys dream will end here.

CTS, Texas Instruments: It picked handful of toppers.

HCL: The pre-placement talk was very good. I did written test well, shortlisted. In the interview, I did pretty well. Except for a doubly linked list program where I wrote left for right, and right for left. On a second thought, anyone will say there is nothing wrong in it. But the interviewer did not get impressed.

DeShaw: I remember I did not clear the written test.

i-Nautix: By the time I attended this, I was pretty comfortable with written tests. Hey, there are 10 different patterns of C questions, some difficult OS questions (even the topper of your class does not know the answer, so no worries), easy analytical questions (like A has a brother B, then how many children does A's dad have :-p ). But..... I got stuck at Group Discussion. I did pretty well, I spoke well, I gave some valid points which would have changed the fate of India. But the arbitrator did not like those. The interviewers gave offers to others, and to one guy who did not even utter a word for the whole Group Discussion!

Iflex: Every one of my seniors told the written test is going to be the toughest of all. Its not going to  have any computer science related questions, but only analytical and mathematically. I took this as a real challenge, and prepared well for the written test. The whole of the college (~600) attended this. And only 9 got selected for the interview. I was one among them, then there was a girl (crush, crush!), and 7 more guys. Later, I came to know the 7 guys also had prepared well for the written test, but in a different manner. They had splitted the questions among themselves and shared the answers. The Five point some ones, yuck!. I did not clear the interview, since she got the offer, she had better academic score (obviously) than me. But only that girl got the offer. When I was going to bed that night, I was thinking about these things that are happening, embarrassing to the core! I burst into tears; first time in my life!(atleast, I know off).

Dell: It was a good interview. But I had a tough competition from my best friend, who was out of the box, and he grabbed it.

Emmeskay, Sonata Software etc. These are the companies, where you have some consoling results (like your best friends with lower GPA gets it!).

Trilogy: The only thing I remembered about this interview was, they gave good snacks, and their offer was 10 Lakhs per annum offer (the best for a fresher, till now!). The questions in written tests were so tough to be remembered ;-) ( I have to give credits to who cleared them, you see!)

I got a interim offer for 2K in SCSE, research Lab for a month or so. But I did not stop hunting, seeking...

HCL Again: It was June 2002. By now, I was graduated; no offers from campus (almost one year of no job), a poor GRE score, not-so-good GATE score (not enough to get into IISC, but IITs), a good score from ISI. (hey Indian Statistical Institute dude). I was working in learning lab of SCSE (for the only reason I know Sanskrit) for a month. And one of my co-workers told me about the fresher openings in HCL and I applied for it. I got short listed for interview, and I started to Nelson Manicam Road from kottur puram. I started with 20 Rs in my hand. I did pretty well in the first half and had a luxurious lunch (of those days) for 10 Rs, and was left with just 5 Rs for the return bus. I impressed a guy in the second half too. I did not know he was going to be my future manager. Then, the HR round. I cleared it too. But, everyone asked, why I did not get selected so far. (Again, an embarrassing question). I managed to answer them, somehow, and I got the offer. Atlast. I did not have even had money to inform my parents, so I took the bus to kottur, with 0 money in my wallet. I stayed in HCL for 2 1/2 years, in the mid of rejecting the I.S.I calls.

Overall, its definitely not a good experience to be jobless. Too much of pressure from society, parents etc. Though it was just 2 months for me, I could easily empathize and correlate the state of the job seekers. (the freshers, I mean).

THE END.

Wait, wait... I do not want to end the blog here, since its not the real end. The following has happened to me so far, which is what I can convey in this blog!

1. the HCL guy who rejected me first, was the one who worked with me in the same floor as I did. And I bet, I will be doing as good as him now. In terms of, quality of work, and money, of course.

2. In HCL, I realized the m.tech guy is earning just 500 Rs more than me!!!!!! So,  do not worry about the other opportunities (like P.G., school) you missed, it does not make major difference, atlast.

3. After I quit HCL, I got 100% raise in salary. I am not bragging here, but to say things will always get better. It will be better.

4. Work hard and try to excel in whatever you do. This has helped me.

The job hunt is a painful process in life, so is any phase in life! Try with sincerity, and continuing effort. It helps

3 comments:

Aravindh said...

One of those beautiful posts... all the time i thought u had a cake walk on life after joining anna uni... i never knew u had a short tough stint...

all the points u wrote after THE END was absolutely nail on the head... 2 things in short... ithuvum kadanthu pogum and nadapathellaaam nanmaikke.... !!!

Rajesh said...

dei krish, i still remember the days when people in cisco (in usa too) gets afraid of your review comments. you are indeed a very talented person who reads code like a news paper. unnakku intha velai illa patathari too much da. all fate. but you have never seen back after getting job in HCL. congrats and keep going. In vellai illa patathari film they show danush as a very talented engineer but doesnt get a job. ingaiyum athae than. I also didnt get thro 4-5 interviews, but some how got through hcl and in my second innings really happy to work with you. All the very best.

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

Your comments encourages me guys!