Saturday, November 05, 2005

United States of America

Its the second time I am visiting United states, after 2 and half years of my first visit. I was longing for such a trip, since I got bored with bangalore and I wanted a change. The result is a two months trip to US.

This time it is New hampshire state, portsmouth. When I told about the state name and place, to one of my friends in UK, he was surprised, because he has seen the same state and city in the UK map. Hmm, there were days when Americans copied things from Britains, like what we (indians) do from Americans, these days. The weather is very cold and I am able to manage with my winter clothes, but I am used to this weather condition in madurai, chennai.. ;-)

The 16 hrs of journey thru lufthansa airlines was really hectic. I had a feeling of travelling in TTC... hectic, really. But the view from Top of the world was amazing, and I got a window seat to see those.

Landed here on last monday, Once again things started looking new to me.The driving style, ground floor notation, switches..... and a lot. u know wat I mean, right??? ( this is one of the most commonly used phrase here).

Everyone on the road is saying "Hi/Morning" to me. If we do the same in Bangalore, thats it we will be keep saying for ever!

First day was good, get to know about my new manager, colleagues... our manager took
us to an India restaurant. I am surprised to see him liking Indian foods. I saw the menu card, the price was shocking!! I ordered one stuffed roti and channa masala, that costed 15 $. My mind started doing the conversions, 15 * 45 equal to....and I stopped doing the calculation, knowing that I will not be paying the bill today, and the boss paid!

Second day we went to a chinese restaurant for lunch. I ordered one soup (miso soup) and tofu dish, thinking that it will be good. And my boss ordered something similar. The food was really pathetic,and my boss really enjoyed whatever he ordered. At that time only I understood the reason for my previous day "surprise". Jesus christ, he likes all the crap!

These days life is getting better since I have started cooking in my kitchen, cooked parathas, tomato rice, dal....and I never thought that I can cook such tasty food.

The winter is about to start here and the leaves are falling down. Each tree has different color than the other and it is very beautiful to see. I forgot to bring my camera and missed to capture the photos!

People say New hampshire is famous for the "change of color of leaves" and infamous for its bad weather during winter. Hope the winter will not be as cold as I am expecting.

6 comments:

Anand Swaminathan said...

Surprised to see 'Jesus Christ' in your post .. Is it the 'US Effect' or a change of heart ? ;-)

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

swamiji,

"Jesus christ" is US effect dudeji!

NaiKutti said...

have fun kicha in the cold winters...

Jagan said...

dai paruppu ...rombah peter vidurey ni ...

dai ..ur trip was better than mine . mine was 24 hours .

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

naikutti: thanks for ur wishes!

agan: machi, athu vaa varuthu daa, naan enna panrathu. NOTE: "j" is missed intentionally :-P. I can imagine ur hectic journey...

narayanan said...

never been to New Hampshire so far, yeah winters are infamous in the Northeast. If you stay until end of April, you'll probably feel the full wrath of winters.

Yeah lots of names are borrowed, especially from Europe, after all Europeans are the primary migrants to US. Do you know there are places called Madras, Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta in US? Too much shortage of names that, u'll see one town named Washington in each state.

Started learning 45 multiples already ;-) hehe.

You hate Lufthansa too, hi-fives. Its one big sized town bus, most cramped economy class :(

-narayanan