Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 and The American accent

When I look back at 2013, I question myself what I had changed or learnt in 2013. This blog is about it.

The major change i have always seen in an US return is his/her fake american accent. I have teased my friends for accenting so, reminding them about the past. And after living here for more than 18 months I realize the change in accent does not occur by choice but by the system.

I still remember the first day in US when I called up for getting a new connection. I had to spell my full name over phone, and spelled it one letter after other. The guy at the other end got surprised at my name once he finished and he told me that he has never heard my name or of that sort. First I took it as complement, but in a few seconds it stroke me. I asked him to repeat my name. He told he has "arihnha rkm kudube jayarkm". Wow, what a name!!!! then I had to tell in "A for apple, B for boy..." style. And by the time I got my phone connection, internet connection, tv connection, mobile connection, electricity connection, car, loans .... I refreshed all of my kinder garden knowledge and was very happy for it. But it did not stop here; now it's an automatic answering machine on the other side of the phone, I have to tell yes, no, correct, right .. before the call goes to the representative. Most of the time the machine itself try to service our requests and it's pain. Once I had to call up a social security site for which i had to feed my whole name for a lookup. and I gave up after 10 tries... but the machine did not, it kept telling me "I do not understand what you say".

With so much of such occurrences, atlast I have got to a stage now where my accent has changed to ease the listener, for machines too. Aawesome right?

And of course there are other changes too that has happened in 2013. I am used to searching google and do enough analysis even for buying gundu oosi (ball pin). I think a lot before spending every dollar( many a times I had converted to indian rupee and found how cheap it is). started complaining about the peak 80 farenheit weather, which is the winter weather in Madurai. (my place).

And the good things now. I have started following traffic rules. Much better and efficient at work place. Plenty of time at home(when compared to India; but end up doing house keeping works). Lots of places to explore; exciting to see the growing son. Admire the way the natural reserves are preserved here. I have been to 4 national parks and have covered four states. and many.

Welcome 2014!



No comments: